Global markets were mixed in January following a strong finish in 2023 that lifted nearly all corners. Commodities bounced back last month, leading the major asset classes, while property shares led the losers, based on a set of ETFs.
* Fed leaves interest rates unchanged and downplays odds for a cut in March
* House passes $80 billion tax deal that now heads to Senate
* New warning for regional banks flashing via NY Community Bancorp downgrade
* China’s factory activity expanded for third-straight month in January
* Birthrates are still falling, raising challenges around the world
* US companies hire fewer workers than expected in January: