Betting on the demise of the long-running leadership of US shares over foreign markets has been a losing proposition for some time and the early going in 2024 suggests the trend persists. It’s only February and so the new year is still ripe with opportunity, risk and surprise. But judging by year-to-date results, old history is repeating, again, in terms of relative performance for US stocks, based on a set of ETFs through Friday’s close (Feb. 2).
* Fed’s Powell reaffirms outlook for rate cuts this year, but…
* Powell insists Fed will proceed “carefully” on timing
* Lower US inflation lays groundwork for rate cuts, OECD advises
* Corporate earnings for key S&P 500 firms are in focus this week
* Deflation pressures expected to continue in China for 2024
* Tech layoffs continue despite booming US economy
* US hiring accelerated in January, rising at strongest pace in a year: